So. This book. This book was certainly not what I was expecting...at all. Honestly, I had picked it up as a free ARC at work, and since I knew the movie was coming out, I figured I would just give it a shot and see what it was all about.
I expected a silly, light-hearted, slightly cheesy 'romance' with zombies that I didn't think I'd really be able to take seriously. What I got, instead, was a surprisingly powerful glimpse into what it takes to hold on to hope and humanity, when humanity has been all but destroyed. What I got, instead, was a moving, strong, persistent message of that hope, of never giving up, and how love can change lives...maybe even the world.
Warm Bodies was gorgeously written by newcomer Marion, with prose that was poetic, liquid, natural and fitting the scenes he constructed. Yes, there are zombies, and yes, there is (surprisingly sweet, innocent) romance...the kind that makes you really root for it. There is also mystery, and fear, and tension...and life, and love, and hope and courage and faith.
In short, I didn't expect to be moved by this book. And maybe this is just me, taking away more from it than perhaps Marion meant for anyone to do. But it DID move me. And while bleak at times (I mean, c'mon, it's the zombie apocalypse,) I felt like the overall message here was how important it is to never lose our humanity, at our core. Our dreams, our hopes, our courage and joy and laughter...and how those things can triumph in the bleakest of times and circumstances.
I'm thrilled I gave this a chance, and I've heard he's writing a sequel which I'm excited to pick up.
5/5
Tumblr
Twitter
Goodreads

No comments:
Post a Comment